Assam News: Ishaani Kashyap Died in GMCH
The Nalbari Medical College Hospital (NMCH) has launched an investigation into the death of a 5-year-old girl who succumbed to snake bite after allegedly not receiving proper treatment in time.
The victim was identified as Ishaani Kashyap, the only daughter of Raju Deka and Simi Deka of Tantrashankara village in Nalbari district of Assam.
According to the family, Ishaani was playing in the backyard of her house on Tuesday evening, when she was bitten by a snake. She was rushed to the NMCH, but her condition deteriorated.
The next morning, doctors advised the family to take her to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) for better treatment. However, Ishaani died at GMCH.
The family alleged that Ishaani’s life could have been saved if she had received anti-venom at the NMCH. They claimed that the hospital did not have adequate stock of anti-venom and failed to provide timely care to the child. They also accused the hospital authorities of negligence and apathy.
𝗡𝗠𝗖𝗛 𝗟𝗮𝘂𝗻𝗰𝗵𝗲𝘀 𝗣𝗿𝗼𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗹𝗹𝗲𝗴𝗲𝗱 𝗠𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗹 𝗡𝗲𝗴𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗹𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝗮 𝟱-𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿-𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗚𝗶𝗿𝗹 𝗱𝘂𝗲 𝘁𝗼 𝗦𝗻𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝗕𝗶𝘁𝗲— NEWS8 Northeast (@news8northeast) October 6, 2023
.#Assam #Nalbari #SnakeBite #NMCH pic.twitter.com/sANG9HxYzk
The incident has sparked outrage among the locals, who demanded a proper enquiry into the matter and action against those responsible for medical negligence.
They also urged the government to ensure availability of anti-venom and other essential medicines at all hospitals in the state. They expressed their condolences to the bereaved family and prayed for peace to the departed soul.
The NMCH has initiated a probe into the incident and has formed a committee to look into the allegations of medical negligence. The hospital has also assured that it will take necessary steps to improve its services and prevent such incidents in the future.
The hospital has expressed its sympathy to the family and has promised to cooperate with the investigation.