At least four infants died after a fire broke out in the children’s ward of Kamala Nehru Children’s Hospital in Bhopal late on Monday night, 8 November, State Medical Education Minister Vishwas Sarang said.
Sarang, who rushed to the spot and was overseeing rescue operations, said, “It’s a very unfortunate incident. I got here within 10-15 minutes. Initially it seems the fire broke out due to short-circuit. I myself shifted the kids to an adjoining ward. The situation was very grim. It’s a sad incident which resulted in the death of four kids.”
According to officials, the fire broke out in a general ward and a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) ward, from where 36 of the 40 infants were rescued, whereas four infants, who were already in a critical condition, lost their life.
Fatehgarh fire station in-charge Juber Khan said that 8 to 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the fire which started around 8:45 pm.